If you’re considering moving your apartment, your home, or your business, why not do a green move? It’s easier than you might have imagined, it can be beneficial for other people, and it’s good for the environment. Here are three easy-to-follow tips for a green move.
Tip #1: Reuse or Rent Moving Boxes
In the past, I’m sure that you’ve gone through the unnecessary expense of buying dozens of new cardboard boxes for just a day or two for an upcoming move, then throwing them away after the move. In contrast, consider renting boxes from a green moving company or asking friends and families if they have any left over from a move they did. You can even contact people giving away boxes on community online websites like NextDoor and Craigslist.
When You Use ZipGo’s Green Reusable Moving Boxes:
• Lets you decrease the consumption of natural resources and help reduce deforestation.
• They are rentable, sustainable, recycled plastic bins.
• Have twice the storage capacity of regular cardboard moving boxes.
• Are stronger than cardboard, eco-friendly, crush-proof, water-proof, need no tape, and are ready to pack when they arrive.
• Are hand-cleaned and sanitized between moves.
• Can be rented separately without hiring us to do your move.
• Can save you a considerable amount of money, depending on how many boxes you may need.
Tip #2: Make a Donation of Unwanted Goods
Before you even start packing all of your home’s or office’s earthly possessions that you’ve taken years or decades to accumulate, ask yourself if you really need to take everything.
In other words, do you really need to pack every piece of clothing, furniture, or electronics? Do you need to carry it to the truck, then carry it from the truck at your new location, then unpack it?
Wouldn’t it just be easier to review all of your stuff and make the decision to give away a certain amount of clothing to your favorite charities so that someone less fortunate can benefit from them? Do you still wear that old sweater, shirt, or blouse that is no longer so fashionable? Do you still want that old pair of skis? Do you really need that TV that isn’t quite working that well anymore?
It’s very easy to make an end-of-the-year donation to Goodwill, The Salvation Army, a local homeless shelter, or a non-profit group in your neighborhood. One of our favorite charities is the Away Station in Fairfax, where they’ll take your unwanted items and make sure they are reused instead of going to a landfill.
Tip #3: Choose a Green Moving Company
Good Green Moving has been a popular choice since 2012 when our founder wanted to embrace a green moving company to promote trust, responsibility, and integrity in our lives.
We’ve moved hundreds of households and businesses since then and have earned a sterling reputation for an environmentally friendly moving company based in Marin County.
Good Green Moving can:
• Help you label and organize everything for your move for one or multiple locations.
• Be your concierge to organize all pick-ups, deliveries, parking permits, hauling, recycling, and more.
• Help you organize your closet by color, season, type of clothing, or actually redesign your closet to accommodate your needs.
• Help you create a system in your kitchen to optimize your time.
• Help you downsize your move or relocation, or even facilitate a family auction or an estate resolution.
• Take care of all your details so you can focus on your new home or office.
We hope these three tips for a green move have been helpful. The bottom line is that if you’re thinking of moving early in 2016, start planning it sooner, rather than later. The longer you’ve been in your current home or office, the more time you’ll need to get it all moved. Again, Happy Green New Year!